Canada FM loses beer bet to Kerry on ice hockey
London: Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird on Thursday handed over a case of Canadian beer to his US counterpart John Kerry after losing a bet on a women`s ice hockey championships.
"While the Canadian women played tremendously well and almost pulled it off, they didn`t quite make it unfortunately again against our American friends," Baird laughed as he handed over a case of Molson Canadian.
The two men had bet on the 2013 International Ice Hockey Federation Women`s World Championship between the US and Canada late Tuesday in which the American team scored a 3-2 victory.
Baird also donated a case of Beau`s beer from Vankleek Hill, Ontario for the US embassy staff in Ottawa. Kerry had staked a case of Sam Adams on the game.
"We`re very, very happy. I`m delighted that the American team won the game, but I salute our great Canadian friends and extraordinary group of athletes on both sides," Kerry said.
The US secretary of state, who was in London to attend a meeting of G8 foreign ministers, pledged not to down the beer immediately on Thursday, just hours before he was due to leave for a long-haul flight to Seoul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened