Canada FM loses beer bet to Kerry on ice hockey
London: Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird on Thursday handed over a case of Canadian beer to his US counterpart John Kerry after losing a bet on a women`s ice hockey championships.
"While the Canadian women played tremendously well and almost pulled it off, they didn`t quite make it unfortunately again against our American friends," Baird laughed as he handed over a case of Molson Canadian.
The two men had bet on the 2013 International Ice Hockey Federation Women`s World Championship between the US and Canada late Tuesday in which the American team scored a 3-2 victory.
Baird also donated a case of Beau`s beer from Vankleek Hill, Ontario for the US embassy staff in Ottawa. Kerry had staked a case of Sam Adams on the game.
"We`re very, very happy. I`m delighted that the American team won the game, but I salute our great Canadian friends and extraordinary group of athletes on both sides," Kerry said.
The US secretary of state, who was in London to attend a meeting of G8 foreign ministers, pledged not to down the beer immediately on Thursday, just hours before he was due to leave for a long-haul flight to Seoul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth