Canada FM loses beer bet to Kerry on ice hockey
London: Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird on Thursday handed over a case of Canadian beer to his US counterpart John Kerry after losing a bet on a women`s ice hockey championships.
"While the Canadian women played tremendously well and almost pulled it off, they didn`t quite make it unfortunately again against our American friends," Baird laughed as he handed over a case of Molson Canadian.
The two men had bet on the 2013 International Ice Hockey Federation Women`s World Championship between the US and Canada late Tuesday in which the American team scored a 3-2 victory.
Baird also donated a case of Beau`s beer from Vankleek Hill, Ontario for the US embassy staff in Ottawa. Kerry had staked a case of Sam Adams on the game.
"We`re very, very happy. I`m delighted that the American team won the game, but I salute our great Canadian friends and extraordinary group of athletes on both sides," Kerry said.
The US secretary of state, who was in London to attend a meeting of G8 foreign ministers, pledged not to down the beer immediately on Thursday, just hours before he was due to leave for a long-haul flight to Seoul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch