Canada FM loses beer bet to Kerry on ice hockey
London: Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird on Thursday handed over a case of Canadian beer to his US counterpart John Kerry after losing a bet on a women`s ice hockey championships.
"While the Canadian women played tremendously well and almost pulled it off, they didn`t quite make it unfortunately again against our American friends," Baird laughed as he handed over a case of Molson Canadian.
The two men had bet on the 2013 International Ice Hockey Federation Women`s World Championship between the US and Canada late Tuesday in which the American team scored a 3-2 victory.
Baird also donated a case of Beau`s beer from Vankleek Hill, Ontario for the US embassy staff in Ottawa. Kerry had staked a case of Sam Adams on the game.
"We`re very, very happy. I`m delighted that the American team won the game, but I salute our great Canadian friends and extraordinary group of athletes on both sides," Kerry said.
The US secretary of state, who was in London to attend a meeting of G8 foreign ministers, pledged not to down the beer immediately on Thursday, just hours before he was due to leave for a long-haul flight to Seoul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch