Canada makes pitch for seat on Security Council
New York: Canada`s Prime Minister Stephen Harper has made a pitch for a seat on the Security Council, saying Canadians hold dear the UN values of justice and equality.
"This assembly should know that Canada is eligible for a seat on the Security Council," Harper said yesterday in a speech to the General Assembly.
"If called upon to serve on the Security Council we shall be informed by these ideals and strive to further them."
"These ideals, as well as an acute awareness of the broad concerns of the international community, especially those of the developing countries continue to animate the government of Canada, the government that I lead today."
Harper listed Canada`s contributions to help quake-ravaged Haiti and to peace initiatives in Sudan and Sierra Leone, as well as the "heavy toll" paid by Canada to "support the lawful government of Afghanistan”.
"We pay it in both the resources of Canadian taxpayers, but also with profound sorrow, in the priceless lives of our young men and women who serve there in the Canadian Armed Forces," he said.
The Prime Minister said Canada has doubled its aid for Africa, "taking the lead among G8 nations”.
His government will also double its overall development assistance by March of next year, from 2006 levels, he added.
Critics, however, say Canada`s international aid is underperforming relative to its peers, after slowly declining over the past two decades to 0.3 per cent of Canada`s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2009. The average among OECD countries is 0.48 percent and the United Nations has proposed an increase to 0.7 percent of GDP.
"The current crisis of confidence in the effectiveness of Canada`s aid and development efforts appears to have reached a high water mark," said Patrick Johnston, who authored a series of papers on Canadian foreign aid.
Canadian opposition leader Michael Ignatieff, meanwhile, questioned whether Canada led by Harper deserves a rotating seat on the Security Council.
"This is a government that for four years has basically ignored the United Nations and now is suddenly showing up saying, Hey, put us on the council," Ignatieff said on Monday.
"I know how important it is for Canada to get a seat on the Security Council but Canadians have to ask a tough question: Has this government earned that place? We`re not convinced it has."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow