Canada PM hails Thatcher as `giant among leaders`
Ottawa: Former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher was a "giant among leaders" who defined "contemporary conservatism itself," Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Monday.
"With the passing of Baroness Thatcher, the world has lost a giant among leaders," Harper said in a statement.
"While many in positions of power are defined by the times in which they govern, Margaret Thatcher had that rarest of abilities to herself personify and define the age in which she served," he said.
"Indeed, with the success of her economic policies, she defined contemporary conservatism itself."
Harper also credited Thatcher for the "key role" she played in the fall of the Soviet Union and "the era of peace and prosperity" that followed the end of the Cold War.
"She well deserved to be known as `The Iron Lady`," he said.
Thatcher died on Monday following a stroke at the age of 87.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH