Canada PM hails Thatcher as `giant among leaders`
Ottawa: Former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher was a "giant among leaders" who defined "contemporary conservatism itself," Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Monday.
"With the passing of Baroness Thatcher, the world has lost a giant among leaders," Harper said in a statement.
"While many in positions of power are defined by the times in which they govern, Margaret Thatcher had that rarest of abilities to herself personify and define the age in which she served," he said.
"Indeed, with the success of her economic policies, she defined contemporary conservatism itself."
Harper also credited Thatcher for the "key role" she played in the fall of the Soviet Union and "the era of peace and prosperity" that followed the end of the Cold War.
"She well deserved to be known as `The Iron Lady`," he said.
Thatcher died on Monday following a stroke at the age of 87.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued