Canada-Russia airspace `showdown` over Arctic
Toronto: In yet another incident reminiscent of the Cold War, Canada revealed that two Russian bombers were intercepted trying to enter its airspace.
Defence officials in Ottawa said that two Canadian CF-18 fighter jets had confrontation with two Russian TU-95 Bears when they flew into their "area of interest" off the coast of Newfoundland Wednesday.
The officials said the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) - which is jointly manned by the Americans and Canadians from its headquarters in Colorado - spotted the Russian fighters and despatched two Canadian fighters to intercept them.
"This incident demonstrates why it is vitally important for the Canadian Armed Forces to have the best technology and equipment available. This is true whether we are asserting our Arctic sovereignty, fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan or aiding reconstruction efforts in Haiti,`` the ruling Conservative Party was quoted as saying.
But the Russia embassy in Ottawa denied any intrusion, saying that these planes were on an exercise mission and never entered Canadian airspace.
This is the second airspace "showdown`` between Canada and Russia since February 2009 when Canadian and US planes chased away two Russian bombers trying to enter Canadian airspace over the Arctic region.
The Canadians have reported as many as 20 such "encounters`` since mid-2007.
During the Cold War, such incidents were quite common, but stopped after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. However, the Russians are said to have resumed these missions as they try to assert their claim over the disputed resources-rich Arctic region.
The claims of five nations touching the Arctic - Russia, Canada, Norway, Denmark and the United States - are before an international tribunal.
The scramble for Arctic resources will only deepen as global warming depletes its ice cover. The incident comes at a time when Canada is buying 65 new-age F-35 fighter jets at a cost of about $16 billion.
But the deal has come under criticism from opposition parties and analysts who say that Canada doesn`t need the expensive planes as their Cold War-era foe Soviet Union doesn`t exist any more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow