Canada to release one of 76 detained Sri Lankan Tamils
Vancouver: A Canadian court has ordered release of a Sri Lankan Tamil who was among 76 migrants detained for illegally sailing into country`s waters off the Pacific coast a week ago, local media reported.
The decision came after a custody hearing on Wednesday, lawyer Narinder Kang told the Globe and Mail newspaper.
The released man, however, was ordered to report regularly to border authorities, Kang told the daily yesterday.
Federal police detained the 76 men, all male adults, who intend to make refugee claims on Friday, after the Canadian Navy seized the mysterious cargo ship off Canada`s West Coast.
The move came after it emerged a 26-year-old man, whose identity was withheld due to a court order, was being sought by Sri Lankan authorities through Interpol for an unspecified terror offence.
All the other detainees have been kept in custody as their identity was yet to be verified by the border officials, it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way