Canada to shut Dhaka mission today
Ottawa: Canada will shutter its mission in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on Sunday, a spokesman said, citing security reasons amid global concern over terror threats.
The United States has ordered its embassies across the Islamic world to close temporarily, while Germany, Britain and France said they would shut their missions in Yemen for at least two days.
Canada said that its mission in Dhaka would be closed on Sunday as a security precaution.
"We take the safety and security of our personnel and our missions overseas very seriously," said Emma Welford, a spokeswoman for Canada`s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.
"We will continue to monitor events closely and take the appropriate security measures. We won`t comment publicly on security precaution specifics at our missions."
The development came after suicide bombers attacked the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad yesterday, killing nine civilians.
The United States on Friday issued a worldwide travel warning, citing unspecified plans by al Qaeda to strike US interests in the Middle East or North Africa in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'