Canada to shut Dhaka mission today
Ottawa: Canada will shutter its mission in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on Sunday, a spokesman said, citing security reasons amid global concern over terror threats.
The United States has ordered its embassies across the Islamic world to close temporarily, while Germany, Britain and France said they would shut their missions in Yemen for at least two days.
Canada said that its mission in Dhaka would be closed on Sunday as a security precaution.
"We take the safety and security of our personnel and our missions overseas very seriously," said Emma Welford, a spokeswoman for Canada`s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.
"We will continue to monitor events closely and take the appropriate security measures. We won`t comment publicly on security precaution specifics at our missions."
The development came after suicide bombers attacked the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad yesterday, killing nine civilians.
The United States on Friday issued a worldwide travel warning, citing unspecified plans by al Qaeda to strike US interests in the Middle East or North Africa in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!