Canadian blogs of battle to save baby as wife dies
Ottawa: A Canadian whose brain-dead pregnant wife is being kept on life support until the birth of their baby is giving the public a glimpse of his very personal tragedy.
In an online blog, Dylan Benson has been recording his feelings as he grieves for his wife Robyn, whom he called "his rock," while preparing to be a single father to a son.
The mother-to-be suffered a brain hemorrhage at the end of December, when she was 22 weeks along.
Doctors hope to keep her alive until she reaches 34 weeks at the end of March, at which point they plan to perform a Cesarean section.
She is expected to be taken off life support shortly thereafter.
"On one hand, I can`t wait to meet my son and try to give him the best life possible and try my hardest to be a great dad for him," the 32-year-old wrote on misterbenson.Com.
But "on the other hand I know that the day or the day after he is born will be the day that I have to say goodbye to Robyn."
"I miss her so much."
Benson also recounts visiting his wife in hospital every day, taking a tour of the neonatal intensive care unit and the kindness of strangers - including a cab driver who dropped off lasagna after being moved by his story.
A spokeswoman at Victoria General Hospital in westernmost Canada confirmed Robyn Benson is a patient but could not provide details due to privacy laws.
"Having a soon-to-be-mother on life support and brain dead is a rare tragedy," she said.
Last month, a brain dead, pregnant woman was taken off life support at a hospital in the US state of Texas, ending a legal battle that had kept her on a ventilator against her family`s wishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow