Canadian diplomat to head envoy`s office in Syria
Geneva: A spokesman says Canadian diplomat Mokhtar Lamani will head the Damascus office for the Lakhdar Brahimi, the new UN-Arab League envoy to Syria.
The spokesman for the envoy, Ahmad Fawzi, said today that Lamani, a Canadian national of Moroccan origin, is well suited for the job having served as a special Arab League envoy to Iraq and as the Organisation of the Islamic Conference`s UN ambassador in New York from 1998 to 2002.
Brahimi took over as envoy to Syria this month, succeeding Kofi Annan who resigned in frustration over failed efforts to end a civil war that activists say has claimed 23,000 to 26,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman