Canadian diplomat to head envoy`s office in Syria
Geneva: A spokesman says Canadian diplomat Mokhtar Lamani will head the Damascus office for the Lakhdar Brahimi, the new UN-Arab League envoy to Syria.
The spokesman for the envoy, Ahmad Fawzi, said today that Lamani, a Canadian national of Moroccan origin, is well suited for the job having served as a special Arab League envoy to Iraq and as the Organisation of the Islamic Conference`s UN ambassador in New York from 1998 to 2002.
Brahimi took over as envoy to Syria this month, succeeding Kofi Annan who resigned in frustration over failed efforts to end a civil war that activists say has claimed 23,000 to 26,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...