Canadian military official charged with espionage
Halifax: Police said they have
charged a Canadian navy intelligence officer with espionage.
Jeffrey Paul Delisle, 40, appeared in Halifax provincial
court yesterday on two charges related to communicating
information to a foreign entity. Police didn`t reveal any
details about what information is alleged to have been
disclosed or to whom it was disclosed.
The Defense Department said Delisle is a sub-lieutenant
in the navy and an intelligence officer. He reportedly worked
at a naval communications and intelligence center in Halifax
that was a multinational base with access to secret data from
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson
said the investigation demonstrates that Canada is not immune
to threats posed by foreign entities wishing to undermine
"Notwithstanding the seriousness of these charges, the
RCMP is not aware of any threat to public safety at this time
from this situation," Paulson said.
All the offenses are alleged to have happened in or near
Halifax, Ottawa and Kingston, Ontario.
The Security of Information Act was passed by Canada`s
Parliament after the terrorist attacks on the United States on
Sept. 11, 2001, and replaced the Official Secrets Act. The
RCMP say the charges against Delisle mark the first time that
anyone has been charged under that section of the act.
At his court appearance yesterday, Delisle was ordered to
remain in custody and is due back in court today.
Paulson said the investigation involved the Canadian
Security Intelligence Service, the Canadian Forces and the
Canada Border Services Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees