Canadian, nicknamed `Black Widow,` pleads guilty
Sydney (Canada): A Canadian woman nicknamed the "Black Widow" for her ability to persuade grieving widowers to marry her has pleaded guilty to drugging a man she married days earlier.
Melissa Ann Shepard, 78, pleaded guilty on Monday to administering a noxious substance and failing to provide the necessities of life.
An attempted murder charge was dropped.
She was charged last October after Fred Weeks fell ill at a bed and breakfast in Nova Scotia four days after they married.
The Prosecutor read an agreed statement of facts, saying Shepard gave the 75-year-old Weeks benzodiazepine, a tranquilizer, in his drinks while they were on a honeymoon trip in Newfoundland.
Shepard`s past criminal record includes manslaughter and theft that are linked to relationships with other men she met in Canada and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday