Canadian PM dives in sub for Arctic
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper flew a military helicopter around an iceberg, sailed a warship, and dove in a Navy submarine, heralding his country`s claim to the resource-rich Arctic.
On day three of a five-day visit to the far north, Harper took part in a military exercise trumpeting Canada`s sovereignty over a large Arctic tract east of Baffin Island, where Russian and US submarines are said to prowl.
"With other countries probing our north by sea and in the air, the work you are doing here to protect our sovereignty has never been more important," Harper told sailors on the deck of HMCS Toronto yesterday.
"Protecting national sovereignty, the integrity of our borders, is the first and foremost responsibility of a national government," he said.
Later, Harper zipped across Frobisher Bay to the submarine HMCS Corner Brook and took its controls as it slipped beneath the icy waters for a 30-minute trip.
His office said he took the controls of a large Sea King helicopter as it flew past an iceberg, and briefly steered the warship HMCS Toronto.
Five countries bordering the Arctic -- Canada, Denmark, Norway, Russia and the United States -- claim overlapping parts of the Arctic, which is estimated to hold 90 billion
untapped barrels of oil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'