Canadian province scraps helmet exemption for Sikhs
Toronto: Sikhs in the Canadian province of Ontario will not be exempted from wearing helmets, Premier Kathleen Wynne announced.
The Canadian Sikh Association said it received a letter last week from Wynne stating the Liberal government, for safety reasons, will not allow Sikh motorcycle riders to wear only turbans, the Toronto Star reported Wednesday.
"After careful deliberation, we have determined we will not grant this type of exemption as it will pose a road safety risk. Ultimately, the safety of Ontarians is my utmost priority, and I cannot justify setting that concern aside on this issue," Wynne was quoted as saying in a letter dated Aug 14.
"As you know, the issue of balance between religious accommodation and public safety has been considered by the courts in Ontario which, on this issue, have found that Ontario`s mandatory helmet law does not infringe on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, nor the Ontario Human Rights Code," she said.
Manohar Singh Bal, secretary of the Canadian Sikh Association, said the group for almost four years been demanding exemption for Sikh riders on religious ground.
Jagmeet Singh, Member of Provincial Parliament of the New Democratic Party said he was "deeply disappointed by Premier Wynne`s decision not to grant exemption to motorcycle helmet laws for turbaned Sikhs".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Jon Bon Jovi meets cancer patient, gifts her guitar
- GoAir announces heavy Monsoon bonanza; fly as low as Rs 849
- ICSI CS foundation programme exam 2016 result to be declared today on June 29. Check icsi.examresults.net
- Jay Leno survives accident
- REVEALED: Why Kumar Sangakkara left Sachin Tendulkar out of his All Time XI