`Can’t bear Chinese aggression in South China Sea`
Washington: Asserting that the United States must continue to strongly support its allies and its interests in the region, a top Republican lawmaker has said that the Chinese aggression in South China Sea cannot be tolerated.
"China`s aggressive tactics of bullying and coercion in the South China Sea cannot be tolerated," Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the chairwoman of the powerful House Foreign Affairs Committee, said on Monday.
"We must continue to strongly support our allies and our interests in the region and make it clear to the rulers in Beijing that the South China Sea and the western Pacific are not theirs for the taking," she said.
Ros-Lehtinen has convened a hearing of House Foreign Affairs Committee on September 12 on `Beijing as an Emerging Power in the South China Sea`.
The hearing will focus on China`s aggressive policies and expanding influence in the South China Sea and examine current US policy in the region.
"This hearing will examine China`s intentions and consider strategies to counter Beijing`s efforts to expand its influence in this vital region," Ros-Lehtinen said.
The US must take decisive action to ensure that aggression is not rewarded, or otherwise the world will soon face even greater threats from an emboldened Beijing, the Congresswoman claimed.
Meanwhile, the State Department has expressed its concern over growing tension in South China Sea. "We are concerned about tension in the South China Sea and the East China Sea," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at a news conference here.
"We want to see with regard to the Senkakus, Japan and China work together. Good relations between them are important for each of them. They`re also important for the region and important for our interests," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued