`Can’t bear Chinese aggression in South China Sea`
Washington: Asserting that the United States must continue to strongly support its allies and its interests in the region, a top Republican lawmaker has said that the Chinese aggression in South China Sea cannot be tolerated.
"China`s aggressive tactics of bullying and coercion in the South China Sea cannot be tolerated," Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the chairwoman of the powerful House Foreign Affairs Committee, said on Monday.
"We must continue to strongly support our allies and our interests in the region and make it clear to the rulers in Beijing that the South China Sea and the western Pacific are not theirs for the taking," she said.
Ros-Lehtinen has convened a hearing of House Foreign Affairs Committee on September 12 on `Beijing as an Emerging Power in the South China Sea`.
The hearing will focus on China`s aggressive policies and expanding influence in the South China Sea and examine current US policy in the region.
"This hearing will examine China`s intentions and consider strategies to counter Beijing`s efforts to expand its influence in this vital region," Ros-Lehtinen said.
The US must take decisive action to ensure that aggression is not rewarded, or otherwise the world will soon face even greater threats from an emboldened Beijing, the Congresswoman claimed.
Meanwhile, the State Department has expressed its concern over growing tension in South China Sea. "We are concerned about tension in the South China Sea and the East China Sea," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at a news conference here.
"We want to see with regard to the Senkakus, Japan and China work together. Good relations between them are important for each of them. They`re also important for the region and important for our interests," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!