`Can’t bear Chinese aggression in South China Sea`
Washington: Asserting that the United States must continue to strongly support its allies and its interests in the region, a top Republican lawmaker has said that the Chinese aggression in South China Sea cannot be tolerated.
"China`s aggressive tactics of bullying and coercion in the South China Sea cannot be tolerated," Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the chairwoman of the powerful House Foreign Affairs Committee, said on Monday.
"We must continue to strongly support our allies and our interests in the region and make it clear to the rulers in Beijing that the South China Sea and the western Pacific are not theirs for the taking," she said.
Ros-Lehtinen has convened a hearing of House Foreign Affairs Committee on September 12 on `Beijing as an Emerging Power in the South China Sea`.
The hearing will focus on China`s aggressive policies and expanding influence in the South China Sea and examine current US policy in the region.
"This hearing will examine China`s intentions and consider strategies to counter Beijing`s efforts to expand its influence in this vital region," Ros-Lehtinen said.
The US must take decisive action to ensure that aggression is not rewarded, or otherwise the world will soon face even greater threats from an emboldened Beijing, the Congresswoman claimed.
Meanwhile, the State Department has expressed its concern over growing tension in South China Sea. "We are concerned about tension in the South China Sea and the East China Sea," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at a news conference here.
"We want to see with regard to the Senkakus, Japan and China work together. Good relations between them are important for each of them. They`re also important for the region and important for our interests," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers