Captain on trial in Italy wants tests on shipwreck
Grosseto: The captain of the capsized Costa Concordia has asked the judge at his manslaughter trial to order tests on the cruise liner`s wreckage to determine why electrical and other systems failed after the vessel struck a reef off an Italian island in 2012, killing 32 people.
The outcome of the request from Francesco Schettino, the sole defendant, won`t be known until at least September. After only two full days of hearings, Judge Giovanni Puliatti on adjourned the trial until September 23.
Schettino is also charged with causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship before all aboard had been evacuated. His defence claims that no one died in the collision itself, but that the failure of a backup generator and water-tight compartments created problems during the evacuation, when the deaths occurred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli steps down
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top