Captain on trial in Italy wants tests on shipwreck
Grosseto: The captain of the capsized Costa Concordia has asked the judge at his manslaughter trial to order tests on the cruise liner`s wreckage to determine why electrical and other systems failed after the vessel struck a reef off an Italian island in 2012, killing 32 people.
The outcome of the request from Francesco Schettino, the sole defendant, won`t be known until at least September. After only two full days of hearings, Judge Giovanni Puliatti on adjourned the trial until September 23.
Schettino is also charged with causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship before all aboard had been evacuated. His defence claims that no one died in the collision itself, but that the failure of a backup generator and water-tight compartments created problems during the evacuation, when the deaths occurred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands