Car bomb injures seven in Thai south: Police
Narathiwat: A car bomb exploded
in southern Thailand on Wednesday, injuring seven people, police
said, a day after the government moved to end emergency rule
in another part of the restive region.
The makeshift device, made of about 15 kilos of
explosives packed into a fire extinguisher, was detonated by
mobile phone in front of a highway department office in
Narathiwat province, authorities said.
They said three government officials and four villagers
were hurt in the blast, which blew the roof off the car.
In another incident in neighbouring Yala province,
suspected militants detonated a roadside bomb and tried to
ambush patrolling security officials, although nobody was
hurt, police said.
Suspected Islamic insurgents have waged a violent
campaign in the region since early 2004, leaving more than
4,400 people dead, both Muslims and Buddhists.
Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the latest unrest
would not change his government`s plan to lift emergency rule
in a pocket of the troubled deep south as a test case for the
rest of the Muslim-majority region.
"We will look at it area by area and take the general
situation into consideration," he told reporters in Bangkok.
The emergency laws -- which give broad powers to security
forces -- are being rolled back in Mae Lan district in
Pattani, one of three provinces near the Malaysian border
which have been subject to the decree since 2005.
Abhisit said he was confident that Bangkok`s New Year
countdown celebrations would be peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video