Car bomb kills 15 at busy Baghdad intersection: Officials
Baghdad: A car bomb ripped through a crowded Baghdad intersection during morning rush hour on Tuesday, killing 15 people and wounding at least 37, security and medical officials said.
The blast in Baghdad Jadida left a shallow crater at the intersection and lines of burned and twisted cars still sitting where they were waiting when the explosion struck.
Blood stained a nearby sidewalk, and people worked to clear away the debris from shopfronts smashed by the explosion.
Militants in Iraq frequently target crowded areas, including cafes, markets and mosques, in an effort to cause maximum casualties.
Yesterday, a suicide bomber detonated explosives at a Shiite place of worship, or husseiniyah, in Baghdad Jadida, killing 11 people.
Iraq is struggling to retake large areas overrun by a major jihadist-led militant offensive launched in June, which seized second city Mosul and swept through the country's Sunni heartland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested