Car bomb kills 15 near Shi`ite mosque in Baghdad
Baghdad: A car bomb exploded near a Shi`ite mosque in the Iraqi capital on Wednesday evening, killing at least 15 people, police and medical sources said.
A further 27 were wounded in the blast, which took place in the northwestern Kasra district of Baghdad.
It was not immediately clear who had carried out the attack, but Sunni Islamist militants who view Shi`ites as non-believers, have been regaining momentum and striking on a near daily basis this year.
More than two years of civil war in neighboring Syria have brought sectarian tensions to the boil in Iraq and the wider region.
About 800 Iraqis were killed in August, according to the United Nations, with more than a third of the deadly attacks happening in Baghdad.
The bloodshed, 18 months after U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq, has stirred concerns about a return to the sectarian slaughter of 2006-07, when the monthly death toll sometimes topped 3,000
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?