Car bomb kills 15 near Shi`ite mosque in Baghdad
Baghdad: A car bomb exploded near a Shi`ite mosque in the Iraqi capital on Wednesday evening, killing at least 15 people, police and medical sources said.
A further 27 were wounded in the blast, which took place in the northwestern Kasra district of Baghdad.
It was not immediately clear who had carried out the attack, but Sunni Islamist militants who view Shi`ites as non-believers, have been regaining momentum and striking on a near daily basis this year.
More than two years of civil war in neighboring Syria have brought sectarian tensions to the boil in Iraq and the wider region.
About 800 Iraqis were killed in August, according to the United Nations, with more than a third of the deadly attacks happening in Baghdad.
The bloodshed, 18 months after U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq, has stirred concerns about a return to the sectarian slaughter of 2006-07, when the monthly death toll sometimes topped 3,000
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference