Car bomb kills 9 in Colombian port town
Bogota: A car bomb exploded in the Colombian port town of Buenaventura on Wednesday, killing at least nine people and wounding dozens more in an attack authorities blamed on FARC guerrillas or cocaine traffickers.
The blast destroyed part of the local office of the attorney general in Buenaventura, the country`s largest port which handles half the country`s coffee exports but is also a major drug trafficking route to the Pacific coast.
Local television images from the city showed wrecked taxis and destroyed store fronts as residents carried wounded people to hospitals minutes after the blast, the worst attack this year in the Andean country.
Colombia`s long war has ebbed since President Alvaro Uribe came to power in 2002 and sent troops to take on rebels and drug barons. But guerrillas are still fighting in rural areas and the country remains the world`s top cocaine exporter.
"We cannot let our guard down," Uribe said after the bombing, without blaming any armed group. "We had recovered a lot in Buenaventura, this act shows we cannot allow ourselves to be too confident."
Nine people were killed and another 50 wounded in the blast, the National Police said.
Armed Forces commander General Freddy Padilla said guerrillas from the FARC, or Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, were suspected in the bombing. But the country`s attorney general said the attack could have been carried out by drug traffickers in retaliation for investigations.
FARC rebels are still a threat in rural areas where they use ambushes, hit-and-run attacks and homemade landmines to harry Army and police patrols. The rebel group is deeply engaged in drug trafficking and extortion.
The coast near Buenaventura is a key cocaine smuggling point and rebels and rival paramilitary militias have often bombed and attacked army and police patrols in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi