Car bomb near MI5 HQ in N Ireland: Police
Belfast: A car bomb exploded on Sunday near the headquarters of Britain`s MI5 domestic security services in Northern Ireland, police said, adding that there were no reported injuries.
The blast occurred minutes after the devolved power-sharing administration in Belfast resumed control over policing and justice in the province after almost 40 years, in a major step in the peace process here.
"A device has exploded in a vehicle at the rear of Palace Barracks in Holywood," a police spokeswoman said. The barracks is a former British Army complex just outside Belfast which now houses MI5.
The explosion occurred shortly after midnight, at about 2324 GMT yesterday, she said, adding: "There are no reports of any serious injuries at this stage."
The security services later confirmed the bomb was in a hijacked taxi, which was driven to the rear of the barracks. The driver then jumped from the car, shouting: "It`s a bomb."
Local journalist Brian Rowan said the explosion "shook my front door".
"It appears that the seat of the explosion was on the opposite side of the complex in a layby on Old Holywood Road. The security services have sealed off a stretch of the road covering several miles," he said.
Hundreds of people are employed in the MI5 complex monitoring domestic security across the British-ruled province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- 'Ready to clutch a beer' says UK's first double hand transplant patient!- Watch
- Can you beat that! Digvijay Singh in Below Poverty Line list
- Donald Trump's speech at Cleveland offered fear, anger but no solutions: Hillary Clinton
- Significance of celebrating Sankashti Chaturthi!