Car bombs in Iraq kill 17, wound dozens: Officials
Baghdad: A string of car bomb attacks in and around Baghdad killed 17 people and wounded dozens on Tuesday, deepening fears of an increase in violence as sectarian tensions simmer in Iraq.
Although there was no immediate claim of responsibility, blame is likely to fall on Sunni insurgents such as al Qaeda`s local franchise.
The group often uses indiscriminate car bombs to sow fear among Iraq`s Shiite majority and undermine the government`s authority.
The killing began in the morning when a parked car exploded in Mahmoudiya, about 30 kilometres south of the Iraqi capital, targeting a security checkpoint there.
The explosion killed five, including two soldiers who were manning the checkpoint, and wounded 15 people, according to police.
Then, a suicide car bomb struck near a checkpoint in the northern Baghdad suburb of Taji, killing seven people and wounding 26.
A teacher who witnessed the attack, Nasseer Rahman, 35, said he was sitting in a minibus waiting to pass the checkpoint when the attack happened about 120 meters (yards) away.
"The useless checkpoint was the reason for the high casualties because dozens of cars were backed up in long lines before the checkpoint that got hit," he said.
"As soon as the blast struck, we got off the minibus and ran to the site of the explosion. We saw several cars on fire and pools of blood, and everybody was screaming for help."
Later, another parked car loaded with explosives detonated in the northwestern Baghdad neighbourhood of Shula, killing five and wounding 15, according to police.
Medics in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualties. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
Violence has fallen since the peak of the insurgency in Iraq several years ago, but lethal attacks still occur frequently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?