Car bombs kill nine in Shiite Baghdad districts: police
Baghdad: Car bombs killed at least nine people today on the main streets of two Shiite neighbourhoods of Baghdad, police and medical sources said.
One explosion ripped through a petrol station in the large northern neighbourhood of Sadr City at around 7:00 pm, as cars were queueing to fill up, witnesses said.
Motorcyclists, who are not allowed to bring their bikes into the station, were also standing in line with empty jerricans.
"I was on my way to having my mobile fixed at the shop when the car exploded on the other side of the street," irrigation ministry employee Ali Dakhel said.
"I heard the sound of the explosion and saw a big fire but when the police began shooting in the air to prevent anyone from coming close, I ran away from the scene," he said.
"There were wounded people shouting and bodies on the ground."
At least five people were killed, according to hospital and police sources.
Another deadly explosion went off almost simultaneously in the Al-Amin neighbourhood, further east.
"A car bomb exploded at 6:55 pm on the main street in the Al-Amin area," a police colonel said, giving a toll of four killed.
Hospital sources confirmed the figure. A total of at least 32 people were wounded in both explosions.
Sadr City has frequently been targeted by Sunni militants carrying out suicide attacks or planting bombs in the capital.
Fears of a surge in attacks during the ongoing Eid al-Fitr feast marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan have led more people than usual to spend the holiday indoors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi