Car bombs kill nine in Shiite Baghdad districts: police
Baghdad: Car bombs killed at least nine people today on the main streets of two Shiite neighbourhoods of Baghdad, police and medical sources said.
One explosion ripped through a petrol station in the large northern neighbourhood of Sadr City at around 7:00 pm, as cars were queueing to fill up, witnesses said.
Motorcyclists, who are not allowed to bring their bikes into the station, were also standing in line with empty jerricans.
"I was on my way to having my mobile fixed at the shop when the car exploded on the other side of the street," irrigation ministry employee Ali Dakhel said.
"I heard the sound of the explosion and saw a big fire but when the police began shooting in the air to prevent anyone from coming close, I ran away from the scene," he said.
"There were wounded people shouting and bodies on the ground."
At least five people were killed, according to hospital and police sources.
Another deadly explosion went off almost simultaneously in the Al-Amin neighbourhood, further east.
"A car bomb exploded at 6:55 pm on the main street in the Al-Amin area," a police colonel said, giving a toll of four killed.
Hospital sources confirmed the figure. A total of at least 32 people were wounded in both explosions.
Sadr City has frequently been targeted by Sunni militants carrying out suicide attacks or planting bombs in the capital.
Fears of a surge in attacks during the ongoing Eid al-Fitr feast marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan have led more people than usual to spend the holiday indoors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray