Cardinal attacks former Vatican No 2: Report
Vienna: Austria`s cardinal has said the former second-highest Vatican official blocked a probe into a sex abuse scandal that rocked the country`s Catholic Church 15 years ago.
Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn also accused Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the retired Vatican secretary of state, of causing "massive harm" to victims when he dismissed claims of clerical abuse as "petty gossip" on Easter Sunday.
Schoenborn`s recent comments to a select group of journalists were summarised by the Catholic news agency Kathpress.
Already on Palm Sunday, Schoenborn, a close confidante of Pope Benedict XVI, had indirectly blamed Sodano for blocking an investigation of sex abuse allegations against the late Austrian Cardinal Hans Hermann Groer.
The scandal surrounding the former Vienna archbishop broke in 1995 when a former student at a boy`s seminary in the town of Hollabrunn alleged that he abused him repeatedly in the early 1970s. Other accusations followed.
Groer stepped down shortly after the first allegations surfaced officially due to old age. He died in 2003 but never admitted any guilt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list