Carla Bruni pleads for woman sentenced to stoning in Iran
Paris: French First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy expressed her support for an Iranian woman sentenced to be stoned to death, in an open letter published on the internet.
"My husband will plead for you, France will not give you up," the former model wrote in her letter on the website La regle du jeu of French writer Bernard-Henri Levy.
"How can one be silent in the face of the sentence against you? Why spill your blood, why rob children of their mother? Only because you have lived and loved, because you are a woman, because you are Iranian? My whole me refuses to accept that," she wrote.
Sarkozy followed numerous other celebrities and politicians, including former French president Valery Giscard d`Estaing, calling for clemency for Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani, who was sentenced to death by stoning for adultery.
The verdict against the 43-year-old had prompted worldwide protests by numerous governments and human rights organisations, prompting Tehran to delay the execution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter