Carter in Cuba amid heightened US-Havana tension
Havana: Former US president Jimmy Carter
launched a three-day mission in Cuba aimed at easing tensions with Havana, and raising hopes a jailed US government
contractor may be freed.
Carter, 86, is visiting the communist-run island at
the invitation of the Cuban government for talks to help
improve deeply strained relations between Washington and
The Carter Centre said yesterday the former president
and Nobel Peace Prize laureate was visiting as part of a
"private, nongovernmental mission."
But officials have said Carter was asked by Washington
to intercede in the case of jailed American contractor Alan
Gross, serving a 15-year jail term.
Gross was sentenced by a Cuban court earlier this month after being convicted, following a brief trial, of "acts against the independence or territorial integrity" of Cuba.
Carter, who also visited Cuba in 2002, is the most
important US political figure to visit the communist-ruled
island during the nearly half-century old American economic
Wearing a white open-necked shirt and accompanied by
his wife Rosalynn, Carter was greeted at the airport by Cuban
Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez on their arrival at 1440 GMT.
Also present were the heads of the interests sections
of both countries, Cuba`s Jorge Bolanos and Jonathan Farrar of
the United States, AFP journalists said.
Carter is due to meet today with President Raul
Castro, the foreign ministry said.
"He would not have come to Havana if he didn`t have a
hope of obtaining results," a Western diplomat, speaking anonymously, said in reference to the possible release of Gross.
The diplomat added that Havana "will never hand over a
prisoner to American officials," but could release Gross on
humanitarian grounds and allow him to go back with Carter.
Carter also met with Cardinal Jaime Ortega, archbishop
of Havana, who had a major hand in the release over the past
few months of dozens of imprisoned Cuban dissidents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump