Catalin Predoiu appointed Romania`s acting PM
Bucharest: Romanian President Traian Basescu Monday named Catalin Predoiu as the country`s acting prime minister after Emil Boc stepped down from the post while announcing his cabinet`s resignation.
The president made the move soon after Boc announced the decision to tender his cabinet`s resignation, Xinhua reported.
Catalin Predoiu was till now the justice minister.
He will function as the prime minister until the formation of the new government, according to the president`s decree.
With local elections expected in June and general elections at the year-end, Romania has witnessed anti-government protests in Bucharest and other major cities.
The protests, the most serious since Basescu came to power in 2004, were sparked by the resignation of prestigious public health official Raed Arafat earlier this month in protest against a new healthcare bill.
Eventually, the protests turned against the government`s austerity measures and unpopular policies, demanding the government and the president step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price