Catalin Predoiu appointed Romania`s acting PM
Bucharest: Romanian President Traian Basescu Monday named Catalin Predoiu as the country`s acting prime minister after Emil Boc stepped down from the post while announcing his cabinet`s resignation.
The president made the move soon after Boc announced the decision to tender his cabinet`s resignation, Xinhua reported.
Catalin Predoiu was till now the justice minister.
He will function as the prime minister until the formation of the new government, according to the president`s decree.
With local elections expected in June and general elections at the year-end, Romania has witnessed anti-government protests in Bucharest and other major cities.
The protests, the most serious since Basescu came to power in 2004, were sparked by the resignation of prestigious public health official Raed Arafat earlier this month in protest against a new healthcare bill.
Eventually, the protests turned against the government`s austerity measures and unpopular policies, demanding the government and the president step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight