Caucasus clashes: 14 militants, 1 policeman killed
Moscow: Russian police say at least 14 suspected militants and one police officer have been killed in three security raids in the country`s volitive North Caucasus region.
Police say nine militants were killed in two separate shootouts with police in the Kabardino-Balkariya republic late Friday evening. They said two of the militants were suspected of organizing a deadly bombing in the same area in May.
In the Caucasus republic of Dagestan, police said five militants and one police officer were killed in another shootout that same evening.
Russia has been fighting an insurgency in the southern region following two wars in Chechnya in the past 15 years. The militants seek an Islamic emirate across the North Caucasus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference