Caucasus clashes: 14 militants, 1 policeman killed
Moscow: Russian police say at least 14 suspected militants and one police officer have been killed in three security raids in the country`s volitive North Caucasus region.
Police say nine militants were killed in two separate shootouts with police in the Kabardino-Balkariya republic late Friday evening. They said two of the militants were suspected of organizing a deadly bombing in the same area in May.
In the Caucasus republic of Dagestan, police said five militants and one police officer were killed in another shootout that same evening.
Russia has been fighting an insurgency in the southern region following two wars in Chechnya in the past 15 years. The militants seek an Islamic emirate across the North Caucasus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional