Caucasus clashes: 14 militants, 1 policeman killed
Moscow: Russian police say at least 14 suspected militants and one police officer have been killed in three security raids in the country`s volitive North Caucasus region.
Police say nine militants were killed in two separate shootouts with police in the Kabardino-Balkariya republic late Friday evening. They said two of the militants were suspected of organizing a deadly bombing in the same area in May.
In the Caucasus republic of Dagestan, police said five militants and one police officer were killed in another shootout that same evening.
Russia has been fighting an insurgency in the southern region following two wars in Chechnya in the past 15 years. The militants seek an Islamic emirate across the North Caucasus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves