Caucasus clashes: 14 militants, 1 policeman killed
Moscow: Russian police say at least 14 suspected militants and one police officer have been killed in three security raids in the country`s volitive North Caucasus region.
Police say nine militants were killed in two separate shootouts with police in the Kabardino-Balkariya republic late Friday evening. They said two of the militants were suspected of organizing a deadly bombing in the same area in May.
In the Caucasus republic of Dagestan, police said five militants and one police officer were killed in another shootout that same evening.
Russia has been fighting an insurgency in the southern region following two wars in Chechnya in the past 15 years. The militants seek an Islamic emirate across the North Caucasus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility