CBI to quiz P C Parakh in Talabira-II coal block allocation
New Delhi: Probe into alleged irregularities in allocation of Talabira-II coal blocks has gained momentum as CBI has started questioning top executives of Aditya Birla Group and were likely to quiz former Coal Secretary P C Parakh next week.
Official sources said that some of the top executives of Rs 2.4 lakh crore Birla company were called in connection with the allocation of the coal block in Odhisa.
While there was no decision immediately to summon the group`s chairman Kumarmanglam Birla, the sources said that 68-year-old Parakh is likely to be questioned next week.
CBI had registered a case naming 46-year-old Birla, Parakh and unknown officials of Hindalco and coal ministry last year under various sections pertaining to criminal conspiracy and corruption for alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks nine years back.
The decision to call executives of the Birla group was taken after a senior PMO TKA Nair was examined about the entire coal scam especially on Talabira-II.
Nair, who had replied to a CBI questionnaire, had denied any wrong doing in allocation of coal blocks to Hindalco. Registering of a case against Birla and Parakh was criticized by India Inc and former bureaucrats.
The sources said that after completing the investigations in the case, CBI would take a decision whether the agency should file a charge sheet or move a closure report in the court.
Hindalco has been denying allegations of irregularities. "We wish to state unambiguously that we have followed every process required for allocation of coal completely, as stipulated by the Government policy."
"This relates to media reports on an FIR naming Hindalco and our chairman on coal issues. Apparently, this seems to be part of a larger case entailing coal allocation to companies, and being one of the companies, we are being investigated also," it had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city