Cease fighting on the border: China to Myanmar
Beijing: As upto 30,000 people streamed into
its territory for refuge after fresh fighting erupted on the
border, China today told Myanmar to cease battle with ethnic
minorities and to protect people of Chinese origin living on
The Chinese call to its close ally Myanmar came in the
backdrop of clashes between government troops and ethnic
Kokang and other tribes which has left scores of people dead
and wounded and triggered a massive exodus into the adjoining
According to UN High Commissioner for refugee estimates,
upto 30,000 people have fled into China from the fighting.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jiang Yu said,
Beijing is following the situation closely and is concerned
over the events, China Daily reported.
The Chinese spokesperson said that seven camps had been
set up for the displaced people and a few small groups were
still crossing over the border.
According to the paper, hundreds of other Kokang people
and Chinese businessmen are staying with their relatives or in
The Myanmar ambassador to China, Thein Lwin said that
people were fleeing the country only in fear and outlined the
two governments were cooperating to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress