Cease-fire with Hamas a mistake, says Israeli FM
Jerusalem: Israel`s foreign minister says that working toward a cease fire with Hamas is a "grave mistake" and that his country should try to topple the militant Gaza rulers instead.
Avigdor Lieberman`s remarks come as international mediators try to halt new fighting between Israel and Hamas that escalated dramatically last week to the most intense confrontation between the two since Israel`s war in the Palestinian territory in late December 2008.
After a lull overnight, Lieberman told Israel Radio on Monday that Hamas exploits calm to build its fighting force and smuggle in weapons to use against Israel.
The military says Palestinians have fired more than 130 rockets and mortar shells into southern Israel since Thursday. Israeli reprisals have killed 19 Palestinians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash