Centre-right party wins two-thirds majority in Hungary
Budapest: The centre-right party Fidesz secured an unprecedented two-thirds majority in Hungary`s Parliament through second-round voting on Sunday, according to preliminary data from the National Election Office.
Fidesz leader Viktor Orban addressed a jubilant crowd, which filled a large square in the centre of the capital Budapest chanting "Viktor, Viktor!"
"We have been able to bring about a great change through democratic means that previously we could only have done with a revolution," Orban said.
With almost 98 percent of second-round votes counted, Fidesz was set to fill 263 of 386 seats in the Hungarian Parliament.
Holding more than two-thirds of seats in Parliament will give the centre-right party the power to implement deep structural changes that normally require a cross-party consensus, such as altering the parliamentary and electoral system.
In his address to supporters, Orban repeatedly spoke of building a "new system" in Hungary, an allusion to the fall of communism and switch to democracy in 1989, which Hungarians call the "change of system".
The prime minister-elect told his supporters that Fidesz will "rebuild" a country that had been "ruined" by "oligarchs abusing their power”.
The Socialists, after eight years in government, face relegation to the opposition benches with just 59 representatives.
Socialist Party chairwoman Ildiko Lendvai announced her resignation within minutes after the scale of her party`s defeat became clear.
Lendvai congratulated Fidesz on its victory while warning that the next government could do much - "both good and bad" - with its huge mandate.
Increasing the magnitude of Hungary`s massive swing to the right, the nationalist party Jobbik was on its way into Parliament for the first time with a 47-member caucus, making it the country`s third-largest political force.
The controversial far-right party is known for its affiliated paramilitary group, the Hungarian Guard, which has remained a presence at party rallies despite having been outlawed by the courts.
Both the Socialists and the nationalists had campaigned vigorously for two weeks, urging voters to deny Fidesz a parliamentary supermajority and, as they put it, deny Orban a "dictatorial" level of power.
Fidesz had already secured an outright majority after first-round voting two weeks earlier.
The only other party to make it into Hungary`s next Parliament was the newcomer green-liberal party LMP, whose name means `Politics Can Be Different`, which won 16 seats.
The state news agency MTI, citing analysts, said the new Parliament could convene in two weeks, and the new centre-right government could be in place as early as May 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'