CERN staff helps deliver baby
Geneva: The European Organisation for Nuclear Research, known for its discovery of a Higgs Boson particle, has helped deliver a living being this time: a baby boy!
The 3.48kg baby, named Lorenzo, was born last month outside the organisation`s office here.
The parents of the newborn were driving to hospital when they realised medical assistance would be immediately required.
They pulled over outside the world`s largest physics laboratory whose own medical unit and fire service supervised the delivery of the baby.
"Our medical service and ambulance personnel proved to be entirely up to the task," CERN said in its web bulletin.
The fire brigade provided first aid, and was joined by the medical service, which ensured that mother and baby were in great shape before CERN`s Cardiomobile delivered the newly enlarged family to the hospital.
"In all my 20 years at CERN, I`ve seen many things, but this is a first," said Veronique Fassnacht, Head of the CERN Medical Service.
"In fact the last time something similar happened at CERN was 40 years ago," said Fassnacht.
"Everything happened very fast but went incredibly smoothly," said Mario di Castro, father of the newborn.
"The CERN Fire Brigade arrived just after the birth and clamped the umbilical cord. Together with the Medical Service they were all very helpful and professional, Castro said.
The staff continuously monitored the health of the mother and the baby, reassuring the parents and telling them precisely what was going on.
When the family eventually arrived at the hospital they were told that everything had been dealt with so well that no special additional care was needed, the bulletin said.
Lorenzo, born at CERN`s Entrance B on August 26 and his mother are already back home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India