CERN staff helps deliver baby
Geneva: The European Organisation for Nuclear Research, known for its discovery of a Higgs Boson particle, has helped deliver a living being this time: a baby boy!
The 3.48kg baby, named Lorenzo, was born last month outside the organisation`s office here.
The parents of the newborn were driving to hospital when they realised medical assistance would be immediately required.
They pulled over outside the world`s largest physics laboratory whose own medical unit and fire service supervised the delivery of the baby.
"Our medical service and ambulance personnel proved to be entirely up to the task," CERN said in its web bulletin.
The fire brigade provided first aid, and was joined by the medical service, which ensured that mother and baby were in great shape before CERN`s Cardiomobile delivered the newly enlarged family to the hospital.
"In all my 20 years at CERN, I`ve seen many things, but this is a first," said Veronique Fassnacht, Head of the CERN Medical Service.
"In fact the last time something similar happened at CERN was 40 years ago," said Fassnacht.
"Everything happened very fast but went incredibly smoothly," said Mario di Castro, father of the newborn.
"The CERN Fire Brigade arrived just after the birth and clamped the umbilical cord. Together with the Medical Service they were all very helpful and professional, Castro said.
The staff continuously monitored the health of the mother and the baby, reassuring the parents and telling them precisely what was going on.
When the family eventually arrived at the hospital they were told that everything had been dealt with so well that no special additional care was needed, the bulletin said.
Lorenzo, born at CERN`s Entrance B on August 26 and his mother are already back home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says