Chad leader offers amnesty to rebel PoWs
N`Djamena: Chad`s President Idriss Deby Itno has issued an amnesty for all rebel prisoners of war ahead of celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the country`s independence, national radio reported.
A second decree granted clemency to former leaders of the rebel Union of Forces for Democracy and Development (UFDD) who had been condemned to death or to life in prison by the appeal court.
The first decree, read out on the radio, declared that the amnesty applied to "crimes committed by all prisoners of war belonging to the different politico-military groups".
The second decree granted clemency to Taher Guinassou, Taher Wodji, Djougourou Hemichi, Moita Ahmat Djibrine Azene and Djibrine Dassert, former leaders of General Mahamat Nouri`s UFDD.
They had been convicted of having "attacked the constitutional order, the integrity of the territory and the security of the state".
The first four on the list had surrendered to the authorities in November on the understanding that an amnesty was in the offing, said a UFDD official.
The fifth man on the list, Colonel Djibrine Dassert of the Movement for Peace Reconciliation and Development (MPRD), was captured last week in the south of the country, according to the Army. Already convicted in absentia, he had been awaiting sentence.
Six months after a rebel offensive, which in February 2008 reached the gates of the presidential palace, Chad`s courts condemned 11 rebel leaders to death in trials held in their absence, with another 31 sentenced to hard labour.
Chad on Tuesday celebrates 50 years of independence in the presence of 14 foreign heads of state. Independence was actually granted on August 11, 1960, but the festivities were delayed six months to avoid the rainy season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre