Chad leader offers amnesty to rebel PoWs
N`Djamena: Chad`s President Idriss Deby Itno has issued an amnesty for all rebel prisoners of war ahead of celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the country`s independence, national radio reported.
A second decree granted clemency to former leaders of the rebel Union of Forces for Democracy and Development (UFDD) who had been condemned to death or to life in prison by the appeal court.
The first decree, read out on the radio, declared that the amnesty applied to "crimes committed by all prisoners of war belonging to the different politico-military groups".
The second decree granted clemency to Taher Guinassou, Taher Wodji, Djougourou Hemichi, Moita Ahmat Djibrine Azene and Djibrine Dassert, former leaders of General Mahamat Nouri`s UFDD.
They had been convicted of having "attacked the constitutional order, the integrity of the territory and the security of the state".
The first four on the list had surrendered to the authorities in November on the understanding that an amnesty was in the offing, said a UFDD official.
The fifth man on the list, Colonel Djibrine Dassert of the Movement for Peace Reconciliation and Development (MPRD), was captured last week in the south of the country, according to the Army. Already convicted in absentia, he had been awaiting sentence.
Six months after a rebel offensive, which in February 2008 reached the gates of the presidential palace, Chad`s courts condemned 11 rebel leaders to death in trials held in their absence, with another 31 sentenced to hard labour.
Chad on Tuesday celebrates 50 years of independence in the presence of 14 foreign heads of state. Independence was actually granted on August 11, 1960, but the festivities were delayed six months to avoid the rainy season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister