Chances of closing Guantanamo jail very low: Gates
Washington: US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said on Thursday that prospects for closing the Guantanamo Bay detention camp were "very, very low" given broad opposition in Congress.
President Barack Obama has so far not been able to meet his promise to close Guantanamo, but the White House said this week he remained committed to doing so. The facility has drawn international condemnation for the treatment of detainees.
Gates, testifying to the Senate, saw little hope for any breakthrough with Congress, which approved a bill that Obama signed into law last month barring terrorism suspects at Guantanamo from being brought to the United States for trial.
"The prospects for closing Guantanamo as best I can tell are very, very low given very broad opposition to doing that here in the Congress," Gates told a Senate hearing.
Obama is believed to be in the final stages of reviewing US detention policy. He said in a May 2009 speech that there was a need for "prolonged detention" for some terrorism suspects who could not be tried but posed a threat to security.
In Washington on Wednesday, CIA director Leon Panetta told senators that al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden likely would be sent to the Guantanamo prison if he were ever captured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!