Charges against Sarkozy could be dropped
Paris: A French prosecutor has asked for charges to be dropped against former President Nicolas Sarkozy in an investigation into his campaign finances.
Sarkozy is accused of "abuse of someone in an impaired state" over allegations he took donations for his 2007 presidential run from L`Oreal cosmetics fortune heiress Liliane Bettencourt, who is in her 90s.
After today`s request by the Bordeaux prosecutor`s office, a judge still needs to decide if the case will be dropped.
A web of politicians, financial advisers and lawyers has been drawn into the investigation into whether there was a conspiracy to defraud France`s richest woman. Bettencourt`s ex-accountant told police she gave USD 192,000 to be passed on to Sarkozy`s campaign treasurer.
Sarkozy, who lost his re-election campaign last year, has maintained his innocence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre