Charges likely for Chinese activist Chen`s nephew
Beijing: Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng said authorities "declared war" on justice when local police recommended his nephew be indicted over a scuffle with officials after the blind legal advocate`s dramatic escape from house arrest.
Chen`s escape in April set off a diplomatic tussle between Beijing and Washington before he was allowed to go to New York, where he is studying English and law and writing a memoir.
Chen`s nephew Chen Kegui, 32, has been detained in China since May, accused of attacking local officials. The family says Chen Kegui acted in self-defense when the officials stormed into his house looking for his uncle and severely beat his parents.
Chen Guangcheng today said that it was the local officials who broke law when they illegally entered his brother`s house, smashing objects and beating people.
He added that his nephew has been locked up more than five months without access to his family and independent lawyers, a situation Chen called absurd.
"They have declared war on all forces of justice in the world and challenged the bottom line of morality," he said. "How can you say this is a society with rule of law?"
Chen learned from his brother Chen Guangfu, father of Chen Kegui, that prosecutors in Yinan county in eastern China`s Shandong province had informed the family that police recommended charges of "intentional infliction of injury." The initial charge was the more serious attempted murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days