Charity headed by Kadhafi`s son to send Gaza aid boat
Athens: A charity headed by the son of Libyan leader Moamar Kadhafi is sending an aid boat from Greece to Gaza to break the Israeli "siege," the organisers said on Friday.
The cargo ship Hope will depart from Lavrio, some 60 kilometres (37 miles) southeast of Athens, the Libyan embassy said.
"This is a humanitarian mission expected to sail later on Friday," an embassy official told reporters.
The Tripoli-based Gaddafi International Charity and Development Association said it was sending a cargo ship "loaded with about 2,000 tons of humanitarian aid in the form of foodstuff and medications".
The ship will also carry "a number of supporters who are keen on expressing solidarity with the Palestinian people in the plight amidst the siege imposed on Gaza," the organisation added in a faxed statement.
The charity is chaired by Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi, second son of the Libyan leader.
Eight Turks and a dual US-Turkish citizen were killed in May when Israeli commandos attacked a flotilla heading for Gaza, sparking a furious row with Ankara which wants Israel to apologise or accept an international probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH