Chavez foe to face corruption charges in Venezuela
Caracas: Prosecutors plan to bring corruption charges against a prominent opponent of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, claiming he misspent public funds by using them to launch an organisation that has become one of the country`s most popular political parties.
Opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez allegedly accepted donations from Venezuela`s state-run oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela, in 1998, prosecutors said in a statement yesterday.
Lopez was summoned to appear before prosecutors next month. The donations were purportedly authorised by the politician`s mother, Antonietta Mendoza de Lopez, when she was working for the state-run company known as PDVSA, its Spanish acronym.
Lopez allegedly guided the donations to a close associate to form First Justice, an organisation that later become one of the South American country`s most popular political parties.
Lopez, a former Caracas district mayor, has denied any wrongdoing. In a message posted on the Twitter social networking site, Lopez said the accusations are politically motivated.
"Instead of persecuting criminals, they persecute dissidence!" he wrote.
Fellow Opposition leaders, including Caracas Mayor Antonio Ledezma, defended Lopez.
"Our solidarity with Leopoldo Lopez," Ledezma said in a tweet. "He will not be alone!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill