Chavez has operation, no official word on health
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez came out of cancer surgery overnight in Cuba and is recovering in a hospital, two sources said on Tuesday, but there was still no official word on the socialist leader`s condition.
A prominent opposition-leaning Venezuelan journalist, Nelson Bocaranda, said Chavez was resting at Havana`s Cimeq hospital after the exploratory procedure, which a medical source close to the team that had been treating him in Caracas said lasted 90 minutes.
The 57-year-old Chavez had to return to Havana last week for more surgery despite repeatedly saying he was cured after two procedures last year. That has fuelled doubts about his ability to campaign for re-election in October, or to govern if he won.
Five days after the president bid an emotional farewell to throngs of cheering supporters in Caracas, there was no official comment on his health. One senior government source told a Reuters reporter to be patient.
Before he left, Chavez said he would need surgery on a probably malignant lesion in the same area of his pelvis where a large cancerous tumor was removed last June. He has also said he might need radiotherapy treatment after the latest operation, raising the prospect of another lengthy convalescence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa