Chavez inauguration may be postponed
Mexico City: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez could be sworn in at a later date if he fails to take the oath of office Jan 10 at the National Assembly, vice president Nicolas Maduro said.
Maduro said the 58-year-old Chavez, as a re-elected president, can begin his new six-year term in office Thursday and can attend a swearing-in ceremony in the Supreme Court if necessary at a date to be determined.
"The formality of his swearing-in can be resolved in the Supreme Court," Maduro said.
Chavez, who has ruled Venezuela for 13 years, underwent four operations for cancer and four courses of chemotherapy in Cuba and Venezuela within a year. He underwent his fourth surgery to remove cancerous tissue in Cuba Dec 11.
According to the latest official reports, Chavez is being treated for "respiratory deficiency" after complications from a severe lung infection.
Venezuelan opposition leader Antonio Ledezma said earlier a special delegation should be sent to visit Chavez in Cuba to get first-hand information of his health.
Venezuela`s constitution requires that new presidential elections be held within 30 days, if Chavez is not fit enough to be sworn in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble