Chavez interested in buying Russia`s Su-35 fighter
Caracas: Venezuela`s President Hugo Chavez has expressed interest in acquiring Russia`s multipurpose fighters Su-35.
"I`ve sent a message to the Russian authorities demonstrating our interest in assessing opportunities for buying Su-35 fighters in the near future.
"We need to continue modernisation of our defence power," he said during his visit to Captain Manuel Rios Aerial Base on Wednesday.
"Security, defence and development of our country should be our paramount concern to guarantee the country`s independence that our revolution restored," Chavez said.
"Who could think that one day we will have in our fleet most modern fighters in the world? And now we have them.
"In 2006 the Venezuelan government signed a contract with Russia`s Sukhoi Aircraft Company to buy 24 multipurpose Su-30 fighters that that country now has in its fleet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway