Chavez returns to Cuba for medical treatment
Havana: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is once again in Cuba, where he arrived with substantially more security precautions than normal to undergo treatment.
For the first time since June 2011, when Chavez began coming and going to the island for cancer treatment and medical checkups, authorities in Caracas did not announce his departure time or provide any photographs of it, in contrast to other trips, on some of which he was accompanied by huge entourages on his way to the capital airport.
In Cuba Wednesday, it was reported that Chavez was on the island in a one-paragraph note in Communist Party daily Granma.
The Venezuelan president`s return to Cuba comes six months after his latest stay in Havana to finish up a regimen of radiation therapy.
It has been almost 18 months since Chavez underwent surgery in Havana in June 2011 for a pelvic abscess during which the cancer was detected, although the specific type of the disease he is suffering from has been kept an official secret.
Since then, Chavez has returned to Cuba more than 10 times for surgical procedures, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and checkups.
The Venezuelan leader has stated that he has recovered from his cancer and is in good health.
Now, however, on his first trip abroad since winning re-election Oct 7, Chavez will be given a number of sessions of hyperbaric oxygenation.
Venezuela under Chavez is a vital political ally of Cuba and its largest trade partner.
Caracas provides Cuba with 100,000 barrels of crude oil per day which the island pays for in part with medical and educational services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why