Chavez suspends power cuts in Caracas
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
has ordered the suspension of power blackouts in the capital,
saying they were having "undesirable effects" on an angry and
Chavez also called for the resignation of his newly
appointed energy minister, Angel Rodriguez.
The government announced sweeping power cuts Tuesday
across wide swathes of Caracas, as well as the whole country,
amid a drought-driven energy crisis.
"I have noticed that there have been undesirable effects
from the planned cuts announced Tuesday," Chavez told state
television VTV in comments aired early today.
"I want to tell the people that, only in Caracas, have I
ordered a suspension to the power cuts," the leftist president
said, adding that he had made his decision shortly before one
of the cuts was to begin at midnight yesterday.
"The government must be able to recognise and correct
errors in time.... Mistakes have been made on a technical
level, poor decisions have been made and therefore I assume
The power cuts would continue as planned throughout the
rest of the country.
Venezuelans, who already face water supply cuts that can
last up to 48 hours a week, reacted with anger and confusion
Wednesday as the government`s power-saving campaign kicked in.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Seer Trikal Bhavanta, who threatened to take 'samadhi' during Simhastha Kumbh, arrested
- VIDEO: That's huge! Watch 11 biggest sixes in Indian Premier League history ever
- Uttarakhand political crisis: BJP offered Rs 50 crore, party tickets and RS seats to Congress MLAs?
- Supreme Court reserves order on conduct of NEET or AIPMT for medical colleges' admission
- IRNSS-1G launch: PM Modi lauds ISRO, says it's a great gift to people of India from scientists