Chechen killed by FBI in Boston bombing probe was unarmed
Washington: A Chechen man, who was fatally shot by an FBI agent last week during an interview about one of the Boston bombing suspects, was unarmed, US law enforcement officials have said.
An air of mystery has surrounded the FBI shooting of Ibragim Todashev, 27, since it occurred on May 22.
At the time of the shooting, Todashev was being interviewed about his possible connection to a triple murder in Waltham in September 2011. Law enforcement officials said he had acknowledged involvement in the murders and had implicated Tsarnaev, who was killed in a shootout with police four days after the April 15 Boston bombing.
Law enforcement officials had initially told that, Todashev "just went crazy," brandishing a knife and stabbing the FBI agent.
The FBI has provided few other details, saying that the matter is being investigated by an FBI review team that may not finish its probe for several months.
In the statement about Todashev’s shooting issued on the day of the incident, the FBI said that an agent, along with two Massachusetts State Police troopers and other law enforcement personnel, were interviewing ‘an individual’ in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing investigation when a "violent confrontation was initiated by the individual."
An agent sustained non-life-threatening injuries, later described by one law enforcement official as "some cuts and abrasions."
Initial reports citing anonymous law-enforcement individuals provided conflicting accounts of what happened. Some law enforcement officials said Todashev wielded a knife and others suggested that he attempted to grab the FBI agent’s gun.
One law enforcement official, speaking on the condition of anonymity told Washington Post that Todashev lunged at the agent and overturned a table. But the official said Todashev did not have a gun or a knife. A second official also said Todashev was unarmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog