Chelsea changed my view on gay marriage: Bill Clinton
New York: Bill Clinton has said that his daughter Chelsea was responsible for changing his mind about gay marriages.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the 66-year-old politician, who was honoured at the GLAAD Media Awardsfor his gay rights advocacy as well as his endorsement for same-sex marriage on Saturday, said during his acceptance speech that his daughter had a profound impact on the way he saw the world.
The former US President said that his daughter and her gay friends modelled to him on how people should treat each other regardless of their sexual orientation or any other artificial difference that divided them, the New York Post reported.
He said that many of his daughter`s gay friends come and join them every Thanksgiving for a meal and he has grown attached to them.
Clinton`s view on marriage equality has changed substantially over the years, as during his presidency, he signed the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which denied federal benefits to same-sex couples.
He has since then called his approval of that law one of his biggest mistakes as President and has urged the Supreme Court to strike the law down.
He added that his daughter led him to support the marriage equality law in New York when they were debating it, and to oppose North Carolina`s denial of marriage equality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!