Chen seeks official help to leave China for US
Beijing: Blind Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng, who took refuge in the US embassy in Beijing after escaping house arrest, has appealed for official help to leave China after a US-brokered deal, which allowed him to go to America.
Chen had asked to leave China after he emerged from the embassy, as he felt that he and his family would not be safe in the country.
He was offered a fellowship at New York University, but injuries sustained during his escape and official restrictions on access to him prevented him from completing the requirements to leave.
"Now I have notified the hospital to invite them [government officials] to help me do the procedures. I really don’t have a way. It’s even difficult for me to get out of bed and my other friends cannot come, so I have no way. They [US diplomats] have come, but they can’t see me," New York Post quoted Chen as saying.
Chen, who riled authorities by exposing forced abortions and sterilisations under China’s "one-child" policy, said he wanted to depart for the United States for his and his family’s safety.
China’s Foreign Ministry has said that he would be allowed to apply to study abroad.
Friends of the dissident said that Chen and his family were preparing to go to the US and might leave soon, depending on when the Chinese Government gives permission and issues passports for Chen and his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Unbelievable! Airtel offers 10 GB 4G data at just Rs 250
- Using Facebook, Twitter may cut BP, diabetes in elderly