Chen wants China to probe harassment of family
Washington: Blind Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng has said that China should thoroughly investigate and prosecute those responsible for harassing his family and supporters.
During his first interview after arriving in the United States, he said that China`s handling of its officials, who harassed his family and supporters, would determine whether the country has taken responsibility for the abuse carried against them.
"The harm that has been done to me and my family in Shandong over these years, no matter how senior the official that is in involved, even if it is someone within the central party system, they must be thoroughly investigated and prosecuted," The Telegraph quoted Chen as saying.
Chen had escaped house arrest and sought asylum in US embassy in Beijing, which had led to a diplomatic row between Beijing and Washington.
Chen was then offered fellowship in the US. He arrived in New York with his wife and two children on Saturday after China let him leave Beijing.
Chen also said that he now felt optimistic and confident about his future.
"I feel optimistic. I have felt the kindness of the people around me. I have totally confidence in the future. No matter what happens, I feel very good about the future," Chen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi