Chen’s ‘future is in America’, says Joe Biden
Washington: US Vice President Joe Biden said on Sunday that Chinese dissident Chen Guancheng could get a US visa “right away” and that his future is in America.
In an interview to a news channel, Biden said that China must keep its commitment and let Chen go abroad and take up a fellowship at New York University.
"I think his future is in America. He has an opportunity to go to NYU ... and we`re prepared to give (him) a visa right away. He`s going to be able to take his family," said Biden.
Biden’s comments make it clear that Chen could soon head to America also as the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday issued a statement allowing Chen Guangcheng to study abroad.
But the situation for Chen in China, may not be that rosy.
40-year-old Chen is reportedly confined in a hospital here, where he was admitted after being driven out by US Ambassador to China Garry Locke on May 02, after a week-long stay in the US mission.
Chen had made a plea for US protection from his hospital bed as he fears his situation is ``dangerous” there. He also revealed that American officials have been barred from seeing him for two days, adding that his friends who have tried to visit him have been beaten up.
Chen last week escaped his rural home where local officials had kept him under house arrest for years. He made it to the US embassy, where he stayed for six days before the US and China reached a deal that would allow him to stay in China but in a new location, as he had requested. But hours after leaving the embassy on Wednesday he said he and his family would not be safe unless they left the country.
A self-taught lawyer, the 40-year-old Chen became an international human rights figure and inspiration to many ordinary Chinese after running afoul of local government officials for exposing forced abortions and sterilizations carried out as part of China`s one-child policy. Until his escape last week, his nearly seven years in prison and abusive house arrest with his wife, six-year-old daughter and mother fuelled outrage and added to his stature — and in turn upped the stakes for Washington in helping him.
The issue has cast a shadow over this week`s visit to Beijing by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for talks intended to improve ties between the two countries.
On Friday, she told Chinese President Hu Jintao that the ties between the US and China were the strongest they had ever been.
But China has publicly ridiculed US meddling in the issue.
With agencies` inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’