Chicago braces for largest anti-NATO demonstration
Chicago: Thousands of demonstrators are expected to gather in Chicago for the NATO summit on Sunday, as the heads of state from about 60 countries prepared to begin a two-day meeting.
The protesters are expected to march from a downtown park to the lakeside convention centre where President Barack Obama and dozens of other world leaders will meet.
The group behind Sunday`s parade, Coalition Against NATO-G8, hopes as many as 10,000 people will show their opposition to the Afghan war by participating in the march.
Several hundred demonstrators wound through the city`s streets for hours on Saturday, testing police who used bicycles to barricade off streets and horseback officers to coax them in different directions. Increasingly tense clashes between protesters and police resulted in 18 arrests, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said.
Most of Saturday`s demonstrations remained relatively small and peaceful, including one march to the home of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Obama`s former chief of staff. But a later march stretched for hours as protesters zigzagged back and forth through downtown, some decrying terrorism-related charges leveled against three young men earlier in the day.
Organisers pledged a larger crowd when protesters from the Occupy movement will join forces with an anti-war coalition to mark the opening day of the summit later Sunday.
"We want the world to focus on NATO — they`re not important and have no mandate anymore," said Micah Philbrook, an Occupy Chicago spokesman, who criticised the large police presence on Saturday. "They`re pushing us around and not letting anyone get out of the protest even if they want. They`re very aggressive."
McCarthy said police would be ready with quick but targeted arrests of any demonstrators who turn violent on Sunday.
"If anything else happens, the plan is to go in and get the people who create the violent acts, take them out of the crowd and arrest them," warned McCarthy, at the scene of protests after dark. "We`re not going to charge the crowd wholesale — that`s the bottom line."
He said officers had been hit by batteries and bottles thrown by protesters during the day.
"You can`t control what other people are going to do, but I can tell you our cops are doing a great job, and they`re prepared," he said.
Security has been tight throughout the city, as the heads of state from about 60 countries began arriving to discuss the war in Afghanistan, European missile defence and other issues. As police gathered en masse on street corners, near parks and key landmarks, the city`s streets remained largely vacant and many downtown buildings closed.
(With Agency’s inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm