Child soldiers being recruited in Libya: UN
Geneva: UN officials say they are getting reports that child soldiers are being recruited to fight for Muammar Gaddafi loyalists in Libya.
UNICEF spokeswoman Marixie Mercado told a news agency today there is "a serious concern" that child soldiers are among the mercenaries that Gaddafi is hiring to attack rebel forces.
The spokeswoman for the UN children`s agency said the mercenaries come from Chad, Niger, Central African Republic and Sudan`s Darfur region, which are all places "with known child soldiers."
The UN special envoy for children in armed conflicts, Radhika Coomaraswamy, also says human rights groups and local civilians are providing unconfirmed reports that children are being killed and injured by taking up arms in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video