Child soldiers being recruited in Libya: UN
Geneva: UN officials say they are getting reports that child soldiers are being recruited to fight for Muammar Gaddafi loyalists in Libya.
UNICEF spokeswoman Marixie Mercado told a news agency today there is "a serious concern" that child soldiers are among the mercenaries that Gaddafi is hiring to attack rebel forces.
The spokeswoman for the UN children`s agency said the mercenaries come from Chad, Niger, Central African Republic and Sudan`s Darfur region, which are all places "with known child soldiers."
The UN special envoy for children in armed conflicts, Radhika Coomaraswamy, also says human rights groups and local civilians are providing unconfirmed reports that children are being killed and injured by taking up arms in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief