Chile arrests welder for massive wildfire
Santiago (Chile): Chilean police have arrested a man they say is responsible for the worst forest fire in decades in the hills above the port of Valparaiso.
Police say Carlos Rivas, a 27-year-old mason, confessed early Saturday to accidentally igniting the blaze with a welder`s torch.
"He`s a worker from the RVC (construction) company who was cutting steel panels with a welder`s torch," Police Gen. Julio Pineda told State TV.
"We arrived at his home, and he confessed," Pineda said. "Everything points to an accident but we`ll need to determine if someone else is responsible. For now, he`s the one."
The RVC construction company has issued a statement denying any wrongdoing. But Rivas said in a written statement that his boss asked him to lie and cover up his role in the fire.
Local television aired images of Rivas being taken into a court in Valparaiso for a hearing followed by a mob of photographers and camera crews. TV reporters said he was joined by distraught family members, among them his mother, who fainted twice before she reached the court room.
During the hearing, Valparaiso prosecutor Victor Avila read Rivas` statement, in which he says his boss pressured him to tell police that he was painting instead of welding.
"While the bushes where on fire, the site manager (Cristian Berrios) asked me: `Carlos what happened?` I answered that this mess was the outcome of the work that he made me do," the prosecutor read.
"When police arrived to the site, the manager told me, `Carlos you have to man up to this on your own.` ... Mr. Berrios then called me at around 8 p.M. Asking me to say that I was painting and that I never used the welding tools." RVC company officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
Chile`s emergency office, ONEMI, issued a red alert after the blaze broke out on Thursday in the city`s San Roque hill, some 75 miles (120 kilometers) northeast of the capital, Santiago.
The fire destroyed more than 100 homes and forced the evacuation of more than 1,200 people. At least 27 people were injured, including five children.
Strong, changing winds and hot, dry weather at the height of the Southern Hemisphere`s summer holiday season stoked the fire.
President Sebastian Pinera cut his vacation short to visit the victims Friday at shelters. He has vowed to rebuild the area and give everyone new homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly